Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Snow and More Snow

Snow is keeping many people inside. It's also very depressing how much snow and darkness we've had. I'm ready for some sunshine and a little boost of external energy.

My back and leg are still in pain. Yesterday was the first day of physical therapy. I temporarily stopped yoga, in part due to snow, but also because it was making my back hurt more. PT was torture yesterday. On Monday night I tried the treadmill. First five minutes I walked with no incline at a 16 min pace (felt good.) Next five minutes I upped it to a 1% incline with the same pace, still good. At minute ten I upped the incline to 2%, upped pace to fifteen minute pace and still felt good. The big test came at the 15 minute mark. No incline but run at thirteen minute pace for 30 seconds and walk for a minute at 15 minute pace. I felt a tug at the apparent insertion point of the posterior tibial tendon. Not bad though. Finished with 22 minutes total.

The disappointing outcome came the next morning. My leg ached. Walking at work hurt. Therefore when I showed up for my physical therapy appointment I asked if we could start with leg instead of back. After measuring and testing, Laura (my PT) chose to do ultra sound followed by massage (I had to lie on my stomach because she couldn't really get in to massage it the with me on my back due to the damage that's in there.) I thought I was going to scream. Imagine a cut and really bad bruise. I'm talking a bruise that's a bump and looks horrible. Now imagine someone digging into that bruise. That's how I felt. After she was finished I iced it with a dixie cup, numbing the area. That was the best part of the whole thing. It's now Wednesday and it's aching. I have basic calf stretches to do for now. No strengthening until we get it under control (joy!)

Now it's snowing and I'm being lazy before trekking out to work. I'm incredibly bummed. I've been trying new recipes from the Thrive Diet book (love them), but I've been really hungry. Add in that I'm upset about not being able to move without pain and it results in me waking up at night and eating. The scale's not budging (in the right direction that is) and my motivation is sinking lower
and lower and lower. I'll make it through this. What usually happens for me is I lose weight, start getting in great shape and something big happens (injury, surgery, life.) What then follows is a stop in exercise and sinking of morale. I bounce back though just like I will this time.

This week's motivational goals are:
* make one new recipe for week (already made 4!)
* eat a healthy balanced (carb:protein) breakfast every day (so far so good)
* brisk activity every day (work is definitely brisk, but I've also cleaned, shoveled or exercised for the last 3 days)
* do PT exercises (already had some before my first appointment)
* put away all clothes and items right away (I tend to produced massive amounts of clutter)


Each week I'm going to make small changes to my goals, add on new ones, etc. As I check them off I can feel good that even if I'm not losing weight or running, I'm still doing good things for my life. Positive vibes don't just pop out of no where, we must create an environment for them to flourish. That's what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment