Saturday, January 22, 2011

Injury Report...

Way back in early December my leg started to hurt and mid December it was REALLY interfering with my running. Off I went to physical therapy to get laser treatment for my leg. Needed it to be in racing condition for Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge. During this process however, my lower back freaked out. At the time it hurt to do just about everything (brushing teeth, sitting, and almost everything that involved bending forward.) Thanks to Dean I started doing some stretching exercises and strengthening moves and by the time we left for Disney it was only an ache (ok a little more than that but still with significant improvement.) Unfortunately my hamstrings, IT band, and hips had not received much stretching in the month of December, mostly due to not being able to bend over. Although things were tight and I had not run, I had faith in myself that my muscles and bones would pull through.

While at Disney I continued with my strengthening and stretching and my back continued to feel better and so did my leg. On the Thursday before the race I decided to go out for a light walk/jog to loosen things up and feel them out (see what my challenges might be.) Unfortunately 5 minutes in severe pain shot through my hip. It was as if someone was stabbing my hip with a needle with every step I tried to take. I was distraught. It felt like the end of the world. I know I know. It's just a race that I was going to do slowly anyway, but it was still a race that I had looked forward to all year! I told everyone. Everyone knew. So many people thought I shouldn't do it anyway even when I felt good. So many people thought I was too heavy to run or didn't think I could do a marathon. So yes it felt like the end of the world. Not even Disney could cheer me up. I went to the expo anyway. At the expo I met Gordon for the first time in person! He gave me more stretches for my hip. Gosh they hurt, but helped.

It still hurt like crazy race day (I'll give a separate race report.) I made it through my races. I made it home. All three injuries hurt at this point. The back was tight and ached but nothing like it had been. The leg throbbed just as bad as it had been and the hip still had its moments. I tried running and walking but it killed. That's when I started back with Bikram Yoga.

After the first class I wanted to cry. The strength portions had always been a challenge but the flexibility was there. This time my back prevented a lot. That's when I decided I needed to go to the doctor. He was great (I've known him since he was my neighbor when I was about 11 years old.) He took X-rays of my back, pelvis, and leg. All looked good with no signs of bulging discs or stress fractures. Having run Boston twice himself, he said he wants me to keep running just back off for now and do PT and keep doing yoga. Ease into running on the treadmill. He scheduled a follow up for six weeks from now to see if it's still hurting.

So that's where I am physically. Mentally I'm beat. I'm worn out. Despite efforts over the last 2 years I haven't lost a pound and actually gained 25 pounds in the first year. I keep getting injured despite following training recommendations. Some people joke saying it's because I'm in my thirties now and have to be careful. Others say I have to lose weight before I can run. I say how can those people on the Biggest Loser run so much and get injured so much less? I am clinically 65lbs overweight which is still 35 pounds shy of qualifying for the Biggest Loser and they can run but I can't? GRRR. Also my average HR has not got any better over the last 2 years. I ran the half marathon at Disney with an average heart rate of 190!!! Ok I felt way better than that looks or sounds but still.

That's it. That's my injury report. In four weeks I have a physical and we're revisiting the possibility of a hypothyroid. 2 weeks after that I go back for a re-evaluation of my current injuries. Hopefully at that point I'll have done a minimum of 5 days a week of Bikram yoga and will be running again. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment